Monday, March 16, 2009

1st day in France...a prologue!


Craig: "I defintely feel like Clark Griswald (Chevy Chase) in the movie European Vacation!!"

Here is how my European Vacation started:

1) I sat in the Denver airport for a 4 hour delay...assuming weather in Newark, NJ was the reason...the pilot fessed up and said that it was because they have "new inexperienced" air traffic controllers in the NY City area and the FAA does not want to over extend their resources! ....Wow! Take note Kyle!

2) With that said...I missed my 7:00 pm connection to Paris...and made the 9:15 flight...I was the last one chosen from Standby...should have bought a lottery ticket with this kind of luck!

3) The seat I was assigned was directly across from the Flight Attendant galley where the lights stay on all night...that along with an Attendant with a wide berth...whom every time she passed by...I am surprised I wasn't bruised or possibly knocked out!!!

4) By the time I got to Paris...I missed the connecting flight to Marseille...I was put on the next flight out...to leave 2 hours later...I sat down right next to the gate and promptly fell asleep amongst the other 100 people waiting for the same plane. I awoke startled, to the words...LAST CALL FOR BOARDING to Marseille...and totally by myself...I literally hopped on the plane as they were closing the door.

5) All the while...I hadn't any clue nor expectation that my bags were even on the same continent...and I was right...they never showed on Thursday...I eventually got them on Monday...(more on that in this blog).

6) Once we got to Linda's Aunt Ella's house in the downtown Marseille...Linda and I went out for a late night walk...(not far)...with only about 4 hours sleep in 48 hours...(was doing taxes the night before I left)...a couple of glasses of red wine (the French like their wine)...I was a walking Zombie...ripe for an attempt by a young "pickpocket"...his diversion was "Hey...David Beckham!!! (famous Soccer Player) and started to kick me in the shins as if we were playing soccer...(trying to get me to bend down)...Linda saw his hand reach in my right pants pocket...(my wallet and passport were securely in my left)...Linda laid some French on him...called him out....and before I knew what was happening...he left. I looked in mirror this morning...David Beckham huh?

7) In the inner city if you are not wearing black...black shoes...black pants...black coats...you stand out like Clark Griswald! an easy target...

Anyway the rest of this blog will give you an idea of Papi and Gigi's adventures (or our French names...Jean Cleg and Maree' Linda)...hope you enjoy!

More tomorrow...I will update daily!

1 comment:

  1. hello my friends! i didn't know you had a blog. can't wait to see all the adventures. I am sure it will be the time of your life. We wish you could be out in Portland for the wedding, but we completely understand. Hope to be in Colorado in late August/early September to see my sweet little Baby Keithley! =) Love you and miss you guys!

    Erinn and Dustin

    ReplyDelete