Sunday, March 29, 2009

AN AMAZING WEEKEND in Trôo

Pepe's Morning Quote:

"What is this? Oh, but of course. This little one wish to commit suicide to prove her love for me. What a sweet gesture. Nevertheless, I must prevent it."


Anyone missing Linda?...this is the best your going to get...she is having allot of fun and won't be home for 3 more weeks!!
In fact I'm not totally sure she is coming home at this point...her French family tease her that she will visit the USA and not the other way around...



Meet Max and Sylvie (Franck and Eric's parents) Linda's Aunt and Uncle. They picked us up at the city of Vendome' as we arrived on the train from Paris. From the warm and enthusiastic reception and their huge smiles, I knew this weekend was going to be fun...they told me I was going to a special place...(about 3 hours by car outside of Paris)
Max and Sylvie live in Trôo...a troglodyte city...a town of caves. People to this day inhabit caves throughout the town...


Trôo is one of the most attractive and unusual villages of France. Its location and layout are very special - terraces, caves, charming lanes, stairways everywhere. Not really any streets, no centre, it’s the sense of mystery which makes one want to discover it.
This is one of the views of the town and countryside from their front window.



Upon arriving, Max breaks out the Aperitif's'...


Linda and Max...glad to see each other!! It is going to be a great weekend.


Sylvie not far behind gets her hugs in!! Every time Sylvie enters a room she has something to say!!! and usually has Linda cracking up laughing!



Max and Sylvie's house is the one in the middle with blue shutters...looks like a normal village house doesn't it?


But behind the house is the courtyard where half of the living quarters are inside of caves, dug in the rock back along time ago...not sure but heard someone said the 12th century.

As we were in the living room...Sylvie was preparing dinner in the kitchen...in a cave...you can see a little of the ceiling.

This room is the outdoor dining room...located in the courtyard...you can imagine the family getting together in the summer...where it is cool...one of my favorites. Here is where Linda and I became "Troglodytes" for 3 nights!!!


If it weren't for a night light I would have never found this...in the middle of night.


A little courtyard off of the kitchen...


Their next door neigbors....



It was a cold day when we went out for a walk...



These three are best buddies...I think Max smiles and rolls his eyes when these 2 start talking.



I have something you don't have...34 family members in FRANCE!...who love me!!!!!!




Here are some of the fronts of cave houses...











I wish I had my Nikon with me...the backgound was amazing.



If you ever saw the movie "The Great Escape" with Steve McQueen...you could picture him escaping on his motorcycle though the Troo countryside...this place is like out of a movie set.
Max and Sylvie took us to this farm house and introduced us to one of their village neighbors....



On their property they had apple trees and had Linda sample some of their fresh apple cider....


On their property they had many tunnels...this one has some old wine barrels...neat stuff. Several of the tunnels apparently connected to other tunnels that ran throughout the village.



The guy in the blue shirt was the property owner...he excavated this site by himself using a bulldozer...the only clue he had was that the apex of the entrance way was sticking out of the mud...so he started digging....
As you can see this is a sizeable tunnel....


He believes that it was a hospital from the 12th century...these alcoves lined the tunnel...you could or imagine what that looked like....SO WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A HOBBY?...I dig out 12th century caves in my spare time!









Linda says..."Go ahead and ADMIT it...you wish you were ME!!!"



This ... makes me want to plant a garden....





As we walked through town...my only regret is that I did not come to France sooner to meet Linda's Family...

The river that runs right through town....about as placid, and scenic as you will find...is this place for real?



Sylvies sister came over for dinner with her husband Claude....




These folks know how to make you feel welcome...



Tomorrow I will post some pictures from around the area...chteau's, ruins, old churches, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I just caught up on the trip so far, at least from the time Craig arrived. Sounds and looks spectacular, delicious, wonderfully old-world - the perfect European vaca. I mean, when you guys go on vacation you really know how to do it up right, thanks to Linda's family of course!! Absolutely love the commentary, I always thought you had a great sense of humor but your narrative - I feel like I'm right there listening to you tell the story. Really do miss you Linda! I have intended to email so many times...yeh,yeh, that's what we all say. But it's true. I'm so glad Craig is there with you now. Much love sent your way. MWA-MWA (this a wet smacker on each cheek! Kari

    ReplyDelete