Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bussana Vecchia, Dolceaqua and Apricale

Most people pick up a French phrase book from the likes of Lonely Planet, "French at a Glance", French for Travelers, etc...I promised Linda I would try to learn the language while I was here...
I don't know if you realized I have studied little French in my day...cartoons on Saturday mornings as a kid...and I personally am using a little of what I learned on "My leetle pigeon"....


"The arms of Pepe are about you All the day live long The lips of Pepe are upon you Mmm mmm mmm mmm Pepe's love is strong Darling can't you hear me asking You are going now to where? Do you think she's gone and left me? Oh well c'est le guerre "

Ok...Here is the beginning of the travel pictures...I did not mention tourist pics, because the places we went to are not in any travel books, or notable destinations that are commercialized with souvenir shops...this is "experiencing France" in a way you can only do with good friends and family...Thanks to Ella and Gerald for hauling us in some of the most remote places and countryside...too bad we all couldn't fit on a motorcycle, that would be an amazing way to travel.


This is a place that is tucked away deep in the mountains of Italy...it was destroyed by an earthquake around 1877...according to Ella, some "hippie artist" moved in back in the 60's and the community thrives today...here are just some of the pics...






Behind each of these gates was the front door to an apartment where someone actually lives.



These hippies can paint...they had some incredible pieces...Linda tried to buy one, but could never find the store owner...below was one of my favorites in the shop.

This is what is left of the church after the earthquake.




We stopped for lunch...here are our chefs preparing the food outside...weather was amazing....

Italian Bruchetta...like no other!!




I think the next town we stumbled into was called Valloria...probably not more than a 100 people live here...called he "city of painted doors"their uniqueness is derived from the "painted" front doors on each of the homes in town.










"You know, it's not just a case of physical attraction, I admire her mind too."




The Village of Apricale: It is amazing to me that these are nothing more than the first "master planned" communities...these villages dot the mountainside...for the most part are self contained...even today they all have a church, markets, schools, bakeries, cafe's/bar. Haven't seen the Gymnasium, Golf Course or the Day Spa however!...











No comments:

Post a Comment